[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Update

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:09:36 +0100

Gentlemen,

Andy's response is correct. FPI's providers did things in a very complicated, roundabout method. It worked, most of the time, and was by no means a terrible set up. However, for the number of connections we had it simply wasn't the most efficient.

A sub 150 connection per day network with say, up to 70 concurrent users, only needs one server for the "network" voice can utilize a VOIP client, there are many customizable ones available.
The website could be a hosted service. All together, for about £40-£50 a month you could have a workable network. If running less than 20 users on a FSinn type arrangement you could easily do it for nothing, or a couple of quid a month max.

Andy is also correct in that saying FPI's current software suite has already been fully tested with FSX and has been upgraded in readiness for the release.

Alex

Andrew Berry wrote:
Hi all,
 My first post on the mailing list (woooo)...

Although I am (sorry, was) UKI Vice President, my online presence has always
been fairly low... I work regular lates (my earliest finish is Sunday's at
8pm). However I have quite a bit of experience in the technical side of an
organisation like FPI (I was a founding member of INTVAS, NVAS etc etc), and
I designed the website (including all the technical crap) for the one that
actually stayed online for about 6 months (but closed due to the main guy
having problems at home and lack of members)

I know the providers all make a rather large fuss about how much they spend
on the servers... the financial commitment is not as large as they make out,
especially for a small community like ours would initially be, FPI ran 4
traffic servers, 3 voice servers and a couple of other servers for various
uses like weather, website etc. This simply isn't necessary at the minute,
one decent server is suitable for use by up to about a hundred users without
experiencing any major lag. Some of you may of heard of FSInn, a pilot
client, created by some French people), which uses a minimal amount of
bandwidth server side, all the details of aircraft information etc is sent
via P2P connection instead, meaning that instead of using servers to send
the data, it is sent direct from one client to another.

As for the pilot client becoming dated with FSX, I understand that Stefan
had created a working FSX interface that was being prepared for FPI release
as soon as FSX was made available for purchase in October(?). I presume that
he is probably planning to complete this, if he hasn't already, and pack
this up with the existing pilot client as part of a 'package' for use.

Andy