[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Session for Tuesday night

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:52:44 +0100

Actually I should tighten up on the squawk allocations I give as I' have
been a bit slack over these.

For VFR flights the normal squawk when flying in the UK is 7000, in Eire
it is 2000 and almost all other countries use 1200. However, if a VFR
flight enters a control zone then the controller will use one of his
"local" squawks to identify the aircraft. Each airfield has a set of
codes they can use - at Ronaldsway these are 4551-4567 - and you will be
given one of these squawks whilst under a service from us. Any other
controller with coverage of the area will see this squawk and know that
Ronaldsway are controlling the aircraft.

When you leave our airspace - or when we ask you to change to your en
route frequency - we usually tell aircraft to change squawk to 7000.
This is where it goes slightly wrong in FPI because I have been tending
to keep you on my frequency for the length of your flight and therefore
have not changed your squawk. I think I'll have to drum up a more
appropriate procedure.

In the meantime stick with 7000 for your VFR flights unless otherwise
directed by a controller.

You are right about the patter too. Those not used to real ATC
procedures will probably develop their RT on what they perceive ATC to
do in real life and it will vary. Just listen a bit more carefully
because it is natural for pilots to expect a certain reply to their
transmissions and when it is quite different it can be confusing. The
same happens in the real world too - by the time you realise the
controller has said something totally different to what you expect you
realise that you haven't actually heard a word he has said!