[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Session for Tuesday night

  • From: gwinsk@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:35:20 +0100

Possibly my fault, for being ignorant of the correct proceedure but the only
ATC contact I
had was with Andy; just three times. He picked me up, as I sat at Jersey,
agreeing I call
him airborne.
I called approaching UK airspace and was cleared to my Plan FL 280. Thereafter,
zilch.
I could hear the Dutch fliers being given descent instructions, routeing to
POL, then
instructions to change frequency to Manchester. Still sitting at 280, at TNT,
and having
heard Mike ask for permission to descend, I asked for descent, giving my
position. I was
cleared to 7000' but given no heading. Still passing through 21,000' abeam
Manchester,
I hadn't been directed to anywhere, or instructed to change frequency. That was
when
FS2002 locked up, with a Phone Home.
 Questions. Should I have asked for descent earlier, or waited for a descent
instruction?
Should I have asked to be handed to Manchester? If I'd contacted Manchester,
without
being instructed, at approx 40 dme, I couldn't have got the altitude off;
complicated by
the Dutch being directed in the direction of down and asked for minimum speed.
It was disappointing to be existing in splendid isolation, with so much traffic
around. Also
to miss abeing handed to Manchester; though the lockup might have prevented
that,
anyway.
Off to see if Autosave will allow me to complete and experience your lousy
weather
conditions. Look forward to the next session.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx