[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Session for Tuesday night

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 01:47:30 +0100

I'm annoyed because I didn't take any screenshots tonight. It got so
busy so quickly - one minute I was discussing connection problems with
Kevin and yourself and the next thing the heavens opened. In more ways
than one too!

It really was mucky weather for those that tapped into the weather
servers. Manchester went down to 4000m with towering cu-nims around and
the departing KLM174 flew into a really bad thunderstorm just after take
off.

The IFR/VFR mix is the best thing about most zones and only London is
unique in not having this. I'd like to see more sessions like tonight.

As to the callsign question I think I have answered most of this in
Peter's reply but there are one or two additions you raise. Your radio
callsign for JHB is Diamond 193 and this should be put in the ATOC boxes
as JHB193. Its no different to BAW4581 being Speedbird 4581 in real
life. You can elect to use the aircraft callsign for any GA flight if
you prefer this - I don't insist on you using your JHB callsign.
However, if you do use a registration you must insert this in both the
ATOC screen and in the Voice Connection box so the controller sees you
correctly. I called you G-CART tonight because that is what showed up on
my screen - and I was too busy to ask you to change it (you could not
have either without logging out).

As to flight numbers this is the one variation from real world flying. I
prefer it if everyone uses their personal callsign as it becomes
instinctive after a while and other pilots will begin to recognise you
when on frequency. You could use the JHB route assignment numbers but
you would have to remember these (they change for every flight) and
there is a faint chance that two pilots might end up using the same
flight number. The odds are extremely slim on this happening but sod's
law dictates it will crop up. Your pilot ID's have been carefully chosen
to stop RT confusion with similar callsigns but the route ID's might
start this happening again (we could get JHB8359, 8539 and 3895 calling
up) so I'd prefer these were not used.