[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Session for Tuesday night

  • From: "Mike Brook" <mike.brook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:44:00 +0100

Bones -

That was a cracking session this evening!  Thank you for fitting my
GA flights in whilst you were handling all those professional big
iron foreign guys <G>.  Being able to handle Approach, Tower & Ground
all at the same time was really impressive - bet it was never that
bad in real life.  London Centre became unavailable at about the same
time that I arrived at Woodvale, the wx was atrocious at that point
so I sat on the ground for about 40 mins waiting for it to clear (see
http://www.mike.brook.btinternet.co.uk/FPI/Capture220.jpg ).

Eventually the weather eased and I was able to get airborne - you
picked me up about 14 nm NE of Liverpool, about two minutes before I
had planned to contact you to request entry into your zone for
eventual landing at Woodford!  Over-flying EGCC at 2000ft (see
http://www.mike.brook.btinternet.co.uk/FPI/Capture221.jpg ) I spotted
others in the vicinity under your control - the display was too
confused to positively identify each a/c.  A gentle circuit join LH
downwind for 25 at Woodford and I was almost home & dry!

Many thanks Bones, it was easy for us, you had all the stress (must
have been like old times).  I'll be reporting my flights towards my
JHB hours!

Question regarding call-signs:  when on a JHB assignment and under
ATC control, what should be used as the call-sign (and what should be
used when NOT on an assignment)?  There is a choice between the Route
assignment (e.g. JHB3779), the pilot's ID (e.g. JHB193), the airline
identifier + the pilot's ID (e.g. Diamond 193) or the aircraft reg
(e.g. G-CART).  During my first flight this evening I used 'Diamond
193' but I noticed that when you picked me up on my second flight you
referred to me as 'Romeo Tango'...

Yours as ever,
Confused of Solihull
(aka MikeB