[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Demise

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:21:53 +0100

I guess it will depend on which services are retained after the changeover.
At the moment there are weather, voice, traffic and data servers. Voice and
traffic would be nice to keep, the weather less so as it was never fully
operational.

The real question is just what facilities will be retained in FPILite. The
only clue so far is that it will be an MP server so this infers we'll see
each other. If the ATC software still works then an ATC service can still be
provided. If the translation software is still in place then the ATOC
aircraft are still valid - but with so few users I'm not sure the full
collection is necessary. However we can't predict what may happen in the
future so they may we worth hanging on to for a while. Let me expand on
this.

The current FPI system is going to close but we still don't know exactly in
what form FPILite will continue. I can only make assumptions here but I'll
guess the first change is that the FPI pages may disappear - or be replaced
by a more basic set. Will these include a forum or bookings pages? If not
then FPI users won't have any means of communication to organise themselves.

Again, without any regulation, we can't really predict how FPILite will
evolve. It could well become very popular. We might still be able to
continue with Wednesday nights sessions and see new users appear (how they
get a user ID and password is a puzzle to me right now). If the forum
continues we have the ability to organise ourselves - if not we could create
our own forum or email list to run our own UK operation.

The only thing we would lack is any supervisory control of the system and
so, if it attracted idiots who just wanted to beat our aircraft up then we
would not be able to stop this. We may also return to the situation where
other idiots just join to disrupt the radio with foul language. If these
problems could be overcome i.e. someone still has a supervisory capacity in
FPI to keep things in check, then we basically have an online operation we
can evolve to our own liking. As an example:-

Retain Alex as the head of UK FPI operations and set up a basic web page for
this. Retain the data in the UK VCA and Global Pilot sites so that Alex can
say to visitors "Hi, this is who we are and what we do. For new pilots go to
this link and for new controllers go here." In other words Alex is still
doing the same job but in a freelance capacity rather than in any FPI
management structure.

Will it bring in new users? I can't bet on that but it might. The only way
to do so would be by (like JHB itself) word of mouth contact and a few plugs
in other forums. Knowing the WE were running the UK operation might be more
attractive to, say, users in the VisualFlight and UK2000 forums than a
remote and unknown body called FPI. Drop a few hints in the VFGM forum that
a new MP server is working and I am sure it would bring pilots in. Whether
they want ATC or not is not material at the beginning - but if they listen
to other users talking to ATC it might fire their curiosity enough to want
to try it.

In fact this would be an interesting combination because it isn't available
on other online ATC systems. FPI could evolve into a partial ATC, partial
freeflight system that could possibly work very well. Again as an example we
could say that all airways have a 5000ft base and that anyone flying below
this doesn't have to call ATC unless entering a Zone - and let them get on
with their multiplayer, formation VFR cross country flying. Anything above
5000ft can call ATC - either for a RAS/RIS outside airways or a full ATC
service within. To my mind this regulated/unregulated traffic mix is
probably the most realistic scenario you get to real life.

Lots of possibilities but we can't do anything short term until we know what
FPILite is going to give us.