[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI Demise

  • From: "Alex Barrett" <fpi509267@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:33:21 +0000

Frank,

It is very simple, the FPI network was paid for and developed entirely by the
providers and the staff. Running costs for the servers were met by Stefan (1/3)
and Ralph (2/3) Software development was all done by Stefan.

The rest, such as R&D work, prizes for competitions, webspace, domain names,
copywrite registering, purchase of model rights for ATOC and anything else was
all paid for by the providers and in case of anything specifically UK related
by myself. I also sponsored many of the competition prizes and helped fund the
webspace costs. Some reps in the past also contributed although less recently.

Why do people do it? well thats the most simple bit of all, its the same reason
a freeware modeller will model for 4,000 hours and let people download their
work. They want to give something back to the community that they themselves
enjoy, they want to see people having fun.

You have said yourself that you have had manytens (perhaps hundreds) of hours
fun on FPI. For my investment, just hearing that one person has appreciated it,
has made it all worth while!

I am looking, over the next week or so, at setting up a dedicated line server
with the FSINN server running on it to see how that works. If anyone is up for
some testing then let me know!

Which reminds me, does anyone know where I can get a decent Server Operating
system cheapish? I have a copy of Windows 2003 server which I bought off eBay
(I know!!, I know...) and It worked for a while then I had to do a fresh
install and now it is saying the key isn't valid.

Alex

Regards,

Alex

Alex Barrett