[jhb_airlines] FPI 17 Aug

  • From: "Mike Brook" <mike.brook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Airlines" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:04:10 +0100

Well <G>, it was all going so well on my much delayed flight from EGAA
until Dave on EGCC_APP gave me a QNH at EGCC of 1021 which resulted in
my now usual insurance write-off on Rwy 24R.  FSMeteo at that time was
giving me 1016 and pressing 'B' gave me 1013.  I opted for 1021....

After being issued with a new F-100 by the understanding folk at JHB
Airlines I duly positioned on stand at EGCC for a flight to EGLL.  Dave
acknowledged that the correct QNH should have been 1016 <g>  A routine
clearance, taxy & take-off followed.  All was well until just N of EGBB
at FL250 when my controls (joystick & throttle) froze - unfortunately I
was flying the beast manually at the time.  The result?  A steep and
very rapid stall followed by the inevitable nosedive into the ground.  I
just had time to issue a Mayday which gave Alan Sutherland at EGTT_CTR a
heart attack - he was very busy at the time!

Frustrating.  I'll go away and try and sort it all out before attempting
any further FPI flights.  I may be some time...

MikeB
JHB193