[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:53 +0100 (BST)

The other remarkable aspect of sunrise/sunset when the sun is
directly overhead is that it occurs at precisely 0600/18:00 every
day (well - a minute or so different every day as we hurtle a bit
further round our orbit).  I also remember being amazed (I was
young and impressionable) that when I stood a pencil on its end
at midday it had exactly no shadow.  I also did this trick on
board ship crossing the equator, and due to the roll of the ship,
there was just the slightest of oscillating shadows.

Recently I did some flying in FS near the North Pole and the 24
hour daylight day was reasonably well modelled so far as one can
tell if one hasn't actually been to the arctic.

We live on an interesting planet.