[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:12 +0100 (BST)

Vatsim is an absolute swine to set up and get working correctly, but it does
work well with FS9 once you get set up, but it needs an extra bit of
software to run Squawkbox (the ATC client) called SBHost. You then must
initialise each software application in the correct order. Like many things,
once you are used to it, it works fine.
A much better software application is now in beta test.  There is a lot of
activity on Vatsim, but in the UK it is very much London biassed, although
Leeds and Manchester are often active too.  There is once more a growing VFR
section after some years of being ignored, and you can often find smaller
airfields manned, such as Biggin Hill, Bristol, Gloucester, Hawarden etc.
It depends on the night.
The Netherlands, Gernmany and the USA are very active, but France is rather
quiet.  The USA is so alive, that when I recently did a flight around
Orlando and connected to vatsim just to listen in to the local ATC, I was
contacted by private text message and asked to identify myself!  I'd been
spotted on someone's radar with my G reg standing out like a sore thumb!