[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:01:31 +0100

An interesting observation.=20

When ATC came to FS2002 it brought angst to some users in terms of extra
workload. The take off and landing phases of flight are busy enough and =
it
always seemed to happen that just at the critical moment ATC would =
compound
matters by chipping in with new course or height clearances. But, =
gradually,
we got used to it and it made us feel good in that we could understand =
that
the same pressure happened in real life too.

Move on to interactive ATC through VATSIM, FPI etc and it was one stage
further. In fact it was better in being more realistic - you didn't have =
read a popup on screen or press a key for the appropriate response. =
Instead
you pressed a TX key and talked to someone real - and you were not =
limited
by say eight menu responses. You could ask a question, query an =
instruction
or make some humorous remark knowing that a suitable reply would be
forthcoming.

Take that away and it leaves a big void. A world without other aircraft =
or
ATC is very lonely indeed.=20

I must admit that I miss the ATC work too and I look forward to the =
ability
to get stuck in again..