[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI

  • From: "Wilding, Colin" <cwilding@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:02:03 +0100

Hi John,

I hope that you're on the mend.

I think Mike is right, it is a chicken and egg situation.  I obviously don't
expect there to be someone on line every time I log on, but the fact that I
hadn't seen anyone for a while made me wonder.

Something that highlighted this for me even more was the fact that I'm
currently in Oz on my round the world trip.  Last weekend I woke up early
and couldn't get back to sleep so got up at about 6am on Sunday morning.  I
decided to log on and fly an approx 3hr leg into Darwin.  Having flown most
of the distance, I had to get the 13 year old up for a school football
match.  Engaged autopilot and then spent 25 mins sorting the home life out.
When I came back, Darwin approach had appeared from nowhere.  I then had the
frustrating situation, where, having spent most of the time in the cockpit I
had to log out because I had to go out.  If I had been Darwin I would have
even more irritated.

I don't know what the answer is to the lack of controllers. Your sessions
were well attended and I look forward to being able to participate in them
when they re-commence. I don't know how many members of UKI there are or how
many would be happy to be at the other end of the line.  I suspect that a
number are real world pilots and therefore used to "interactive" flights.  I
know that at present I wouldn't have a clue how to act as a Controller.  One
step at a time.

Anyway, time to go home.  I hope to talk to you soon on line.

Colin