[jhb_airlines] Re: External drive

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:46:17 -0000

It's one of those vague recollection times for this one.  There are two
possibilities here, one is there is a damaged file in there which will halt
the process but more likely you're maximising the resources for the FAT.
When you copy files the FAT for the destination has to be re-written and to
speed this up it's done once rather than for each file.  The consequence of
this is that XP has to remember the address pointer for not only each file
but potentially each fragment of the file as well.  The system resources
allocated to this are probably reaching maximum and rahter than just locking
up the system or trashing your drives XP is actually telling you it can't
cope.  OK not ideal but better than we had.  The solution is to copy the
directory over in chuncks.