[jhb_airlines] Re: Equals frustration

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 04:09:12 +0100

I think I have found the cause. Despite selecting Plain Text for all
outgoing messages=20
it seems there are a few varieties of this. From the MS Knowledge Base =
it
says:

"Microsoft Exchange uses an enhanced character set. The default MIME
character set for Microsoft Exchange is ISO 8859-1. Some gateways do not
support the way this character set issues a soft return for line feeds. =
When
this occurs, each line is terminated with an equal sign showing the line
break where the gateway's line-length support ends."

I can't find what character set Outlook is using. In mail preferences I =
have
Windows ISO selected but the actual characters set codes aren't shown.
Looking at the header of a previous message it shows:

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:20:36 +0100

...and that doesn't tie up with the settings I have selected. It doesn't
surprise me either because I read on another web site that regardless of
what line lengths you select in Outlook (mine is 76 characters) it
automatically defaults to 72 - and looking back I see this is true.

One more change I have made is to uncheck the reply format. This was set =
Auto and it might be set to the code used in the email I am replying to.
I've now set it to Win ISO and we'll see if that makes any difference.