[jhb_airlines] Re: End of FS2002

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:57 -0000

I kept FS2002 mainly because I was still designing scenery and aircraft =
that
needed to work in both versions and could check them. Apart from that I =
was
more at home with the FS2002 flight dynamics and liked the higher =
scenery
resolution.

The FS2004 upgrade has brought scenery resolution back to FS2002 =
standard so
the only thing I now have to learn is the modified flight dynamics
structure. It's broadly similar to FS2002 but the minor changes make
aircraft behave just slightly differently. I suppose I ought to spend =
some
time on the Tiger Moth as it behaves slightly wrong in FS2004 - the .air
file being specific to FS2002.

Also in the back of my mind is the fact that FS evolution needs to be =
kept
on top of and I don't want to fall into the same trap as we did with =
FS98.
After the release of the VFR England and Wales scenery we started on
Scotland and Ireland. Both were slow work but we had carried on even =
though
FS2000 had already been launched. The scenery was incompatible with this
version but few FS users liked it and it encouraged us to continue the =
work.
So we did - and failed to look at the structure of FS2000 and see that =
our
work was in dinosaur country.=20

When FS2002 was released the impact was immediate - FS98 was dead and so =
was
the scenery. Although I had finished my bit the Scotland package was =
still
well short of completion and so I dropped out of the project and =
eventually
released the work I had done as freeware on Magrathea. A pity really as =
it
was the best scenery I had made and only a few people stuck on FS98 =
grabbed
it.

Almost all the team stopped work then because none of us knew the =
structure
of terrain related scenery. It was some time before we were able to move =
on
and I think only Iain Gallacher and I actually took this step.