[jhb_airlines] End of FS2002

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:10:04 -0000

After a very long time without any serious computer problems my system =
seems
to have thrown a bit of a wobbler. On the hardware side I've developed =
an
intermittent fault on the CD/RW unit and it is now fussy about what CD's =
it
will read. What is strange is that a quick check last night threw up a
warning about the 1394 Firewire interface not allowing data through, =
which
puzzles me because I only use Firewire for a camcorder..

On the FS side something really got FS2002 scrambled up and it required =
reinstall - except I didn't. I had a hard look at it and decided to =
retire
it gracefully. There were several reasons for this. First is that almost =
all
recent testing has been done in FS2004 because of the add-ons specific =
this version. Second is the increasingly complex setup required to run
add-ons on both versions of FS. Many have autoinstallers these days and =
if
you install twice to separate locations the uninstall option is =
sometimes
not very intelligent and only remembers the last. The third is the
increasing time needed to keep the add-ons up to date for both FS =
versions.

So FS2002 has gone from my system now and I'll have to spend some time
building up the scenery library for FS2004. The trouble is that I often
pointed the FS2004 scenery areas to the already installed FS2002 scenery =
save having to install twice and now all the paths are going to require
correcting!

Likewise I'll have to have a look through the Windows Registry because
trying to uninstall FS2002 via the Add/Remove Programs threw up some odd
wobblers. On trying to delete one scenery addon it informed me that it =
was
now about the remove the FS2004 Hawker Hurricane! I can't work that one =
out!

FS2002 was a brilliant release and I salute it. Only now do I finally =
feel
that the FS2004 add-ons (and the update) have made this version evolve =
into
a worthy successor.

HC@xxxxxxxxxx
http://fsaviation.net