[jhb_airlines] Re: Encouraging

  • From: Mr Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:45:58 BST

I've not yet finished getting FS9 up and running, on my new system. For anyone
else contemplating an upgrade to a new machine, allow several days; I thought I
could do it in a day!
 One piece of advice; if you can run to an external hard drive it makes the job
far less difficult than it would otherwise be. I copied all of my original
machine's FS9 onto that, then over wrote the heavilly modified parts, such as
Aircraft, Texture, Gauges, etc.
 So, where's the encouraging bit?
I was starting to feel a bit anxious, in view of doubts thrown, on various
forums, on the abillity of dual core processors to change the running of FS9 or
FSX. I still can't fly the new one, 'cos I've still got to install GF kit,
extra screens and controls. Even at this stage it is, though possible to make
one check; framerates. I've placed the aircraft at two locations, on each
machine. The old system is P4 2.8 Gh with 1 Mb DDR400 ram. The new one is Intel
Core Duo E6700, (2 x 2.67Gh, and 2Gb), with 2Gb Corsair DDR2-667 memory. I did
put the old system up to 2Gb but it had no effect on fps.
Cut to the chase.
Ronaldsway:         Old PC 18 fps. New PC 97 fps.
Lymm Dam Farmstrip: Old PC 18 fps. New PC 64 fps.
Both machines set with framerates unlocked.

I'm not yet totally reassured, since it was the blurries that triggered off the
change, but so far so good.

Gerry Winskill

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net