[jhb_airlines] Re: EGNS Scnery

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:25:48 -0000

This is even more intriguing. The default FS scenery is quite flat =
around
Ronaldsway and even the hilly bits are nothing more than a couple of
slightly higher lumps. It makes me wonder where you are getting these
terrain changes from. I'd agree with you that you seem to have lost the
default EGNS flatten along the way but it might be worth scouring your
system for rogue AFCAD's.

A bit more about AFCAD's here...

As a general rule I don't allow AFCAD's to install on my system. They =
may
suggest to many people that they do nothing more than add parking gates =
the scenery but this is not the case. AFCAD's in FS2004 are fully =
revised
SCENERY files for airfields and will overwrite all the default airfield
settings. AFCAD is as powerful as the ASD program for FS98 and it is all =
too
easy to alter any airfield data with a click of the mouse. Runway =
length,
direction, altitude, lighting are all accessible as are taxiway and =
apron
revision/placement.

Before I accept any AFCAD on my system I look at it first to find out =
ALL
the changes an author has made. This can take some time as AFCAD is a
powerful program and quite a few variables are buried away in sub menus. =
An
example is runway altitude which (unfortunately) can easily be set to a
different height to the airfield altitude. A second problem with AFCAD's =
is
that you can easily end up with several files for the same airfield on =
your
system - either in the same folder or spread around in sub folders.

My personal view of AFCAD files is that if they are designed to work =
with a
specific scenery add-on then the AFCAD should reside in that scenery =
folder.
This ensures that the AFCAD is only active when you enable that scenery =
area
- which then allows you to have different AFCAD files for an airport if =
you
have two different sceneries for it.

If you find you have an AFCAD file which is not specific to any add-on
airfield then you need to be a bit more careful. Personally I would =
delete
it unless you know that its layout fits your add-on airport perfectly.
Examples here are those AFCAD's that get distributed by Ultimate Traffic =
and
Flight 1. I know they mean well and in UT's case the AFCAD's provide =
enough
gates to make all their AI flights operate but their AFCAD's should only =
be
used for enhancing default FS airports. If you have add-on airfields =
then
you really need an AFCAD specific to the add-on.

If you don't have any add-on scenery for a specific airport then an =
AFCAD
file can be used - if you are happy with it. Don't forget that it is =
still a
scenery BGL and all the values in it will override the FS default =
airport. I
have about 600 of these AFCAD files that cover airports across the globe =
-
but not for the UK or any foreign airports I have downloaded. This =
ensures
no conflict between data in the AFCAD and that airport.