[jhb_airlines] Re: EGBJ

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:34:44 +0100

There is a huge amount of money in Ireland now.

In the old days we used to fly into Dublin itself and would often park on
the apron next to a 747. I doubt you could do that now. ATC was little more
than a call passing Lambay Island or Swords. The modest landing fee was paid
to Aer Lingus and more than recouped by the wealth of duty free brought back
- plus the fuel drawback.

At that time Weston was a quiet backwater and even got close to being shut
down. They hung on grimly for a few years but as Dublin got busier GA was
forced out and suddenly Weston became rather more attractive. Then the money
started to come in and the runway was rebuilt and extended..

If you haven't got a GPS life can be very hard flying into the Dublin CTA.

Now that you have dipped your toes in there I can recommend Donegal for its
stunning scenery (overnight stop essential) or Kerry or Waterford. A nice
little round robin is Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Waterford - on the way south
from Galway to Kerry you can route out over the Arran islands and down past
the Cliffs of Moher, cross the Shannon estuary, down to Fenit and Tralee and
in over Ross Lake. Kerry and the Dingle peninsula is well worth exploring.