[jhb_airlines] Re: Downloads/Updates

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 04:33:17 -0000

I agree that VATSIM is more active than FPI by a long chalk and this has a
subtle impact for anyone trying the service.

With FPI you don't think twice about testing it out by going to a remote
location, connecting and just buzzing around whilst checking the software.
With VATSIM it's tricky to do this as ATC is very likely to be active - or
to pop up within a few minutes of you going live.

For this reason I'd suggest that before going onto VATSIM you take a look at
the local area in FSNav to familiarise yourself with the local area -
situational awareness in a way. It's also worth setting up the local navaids
too.

On my flight earlier today I had taken off from BIRK and climbed to 5000ft
whist checking the autopilot. My GF-MCP had locked up so this was
distracting me and as a result I'd flown out into the Atlantic for a good
distance. When BIRD Centre opened I had no idea where I was and couldn't
really answer his questions as to my intentions. My fault really as I had
not expected ATC to appear and was just bumbling around as I tried out the
software. <vbg>