[jhb_airlines] Re: Downloads/Updates

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 01:04 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

There are a lot of international flights on Vatsim following real
world schedules.  Most of these are text on Unicom, because they
don't coincide with time zones, bearing in mind that in any one
country, voice controllers will only be around for 3-4 hours per
evening. However, within the UK, there are anything from 10 to 20
voice controllers on, on most nights, and twice as many pilots -
just check this out on Servinfo. And Vatsim is more
internationally active.  I sometimes fly from Sydney to melbourne
with live ATC during my morning teabreak, and in the early hours,
do a trip somewhere in the States.  Tonight, as I type, at 00:30,
there are 14 controllers and 200 pilots in the USA alone.  On
FPI, at this same moment there are no controllers and 4 pilots,
worldwide.

As for helpfulness, I have never found Vatsim a problem unless
you connect whilst sitting on the threshold of Heathrow 27L and
refuse to respond to voice or text messages to move! (And believe
me a lot of newbies do do just that, in spite of all the
tutorials telling you to park on an apron and observe until you
have got the hang of it).  The Pilot Resource Centre on Vatsim
http://www.vatsim.net/prc/
 is now "Open House" no registration needed, and contains a lot
of help for new pilots. I always advise my new members to put
"Student pilot" in the comments part of their flight plan, and
that helps a lot too.