[jhb_airlines] Re: Digital TV on PC

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:13:57 +0100

Our existing, main, TV is analogue, as are most people's. That happilly works with the satellite system. The satellite box is receiving digital data, since the satellites transmitting analogue signals were switched off about two years ago. So, for our main set, when BBC change to digital transmissions only, we just continue to access the digital channels, as we are now, via the satellite receiver.
But, when they cease to transmit terrestrial analogue data, then the other sets will only work if we either buy set top units, or have them hooked up to the existing Sky system. That can be done by purchasing additional Sky boxes, which can take an input from our existing box . As has just been noted on the UK Scenery list, they can only connect them to the existing satellite dish by hard wiring. So that's a non starter.
I'm not sure whether BBC digital will arrive here via terrestrial transmission, or satellite. The former wouldn't require a dish, it says here. If current analogue reception is iffy, then I can't see that digital input from the same aerial, into the set top converter, will be acceptable. If it's beamed here via satellite, then I can see houses becoming festooned with dishes.
Sky's reported position that additional boxes must be hard wired to the didh surprises me somewhat. I's possible to run 'phone extensions around the house without wires, by using a mains plug network.
I don't have a Hauppauge card but guess your assumption is correct.

I hardly ever watch "normal" channels these days because picture quality is
just so much better via Sky. The only time I use them is when two programs
conflict, in which case I record the better choice on Sky and watch the
other on the usual channel.

I'm not sure I follow your thread properly. If the switch over to digital
makes two sets obsolete is this because they aren't capable of receiving
digital data? If so then surely they won't work with a second Sky box
either..

I presume the change over makes the Hauppauge TV cards redundant too?