[jhb_airlines] Digital TV on PC

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: UK SCENERY GROUP <ukscenery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:47:56 +0100

The IOM is to be one of the first areas to be switched from Analogue to Digital TV.
First thing that strikes me is the high degree of spin being applied to this changeover. The good news is better picture quality; I already have access to digital via my satellite dish.
An unmentioned sacrifice, unless there is a radical change, is that the stereo sound quality will plummet, as the result of the change.
Next is the fact that although I have satellite TV, it's on one set only. That renders the other two sets obsolete, plus a portable, too.
I'll presumably have to take up the Sky offer of another box, for one of the two analogue receivers, since I don't fancy having the house spring a second dish.
The set in my lair, although a present from SWMBO, looks the prime candidate for the skip. I've just been doing a search on the subject, looking for a way of using the PC as digital TV receiver.
Anyone done this, already?
In particular, I'm just looking at the site for the DVB-T USB Stick, at
http://www.savapoint.com/savapoint/productinfo.php?prodid=4284&ref=overtur0508&OVRAW=pc%20based%20tv&OVKEY=pc%20tv&OVMTC=advanced

This looks promising, apart from not mentioning XP Home, in the required OS.
Anyone tried this route yet?

Any other ideas welcomed.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx