[jhb_airlines] Re: Descent

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:02:42 -0000

FSNav needs a little playing with in this respect. Altitude Crossing and
Altitude After do two separate but subtle things - and FSNav isn't clear =
as
to what they do. The other problem I've noticed is that once you enter =
one
height restriction FSNav isn't kind in allowing a second change in the =
near
vicinity. A third issue is that selecting these boxes and then amending =
them
sometimes throws FSNav is a tizzy and it doesn't reset properly.

It's a while since I used these boxes but I'll have a crack at =
suggesting
the best way to implement them. Feedback or corrections welcome!

Altitude After is probably best used in the climb only. I say that =
because
it seems to lock the remaining portion of the flight at the selected =
height.
I would probably only use it if you needed to cross a beacon at a =
specified
height.

Altitude Crossing is something I would use on descent if you wanted to =
hit a
beacon or fix at a target height.

In both cases I wouldn't assign a second limitation on a second position =
in
close proximity because FSNav seems to need a bit of space to separate =
out
the two. For example if you dialled in to cross WCO at FL100 and BNN at =
FL70
FSNav might decide to ignore the first and drop you down to FL70.

This makes SID's a bit messy but as an interim fix for this I would =
suggest
just entering the final SID altitude in FSNav. Most of the SID's out of
Heathrow end up at 6000ft and I'd program this into FSNav for the exit =
fix.
If there is an intermediate height restriction then dial this into the
autopilot ALT box. I know FSNav tends to override this but I'm sure I =
found
a temporary way to bypass the FSNav alt and specify your own. This is =
where
my lack of using FS recently is beginning to show..

I don't honestly know of a separate FMS package Gerry and I'd guess this
isn't possible for anything other than a specific aircraft. The PMDG FMS =
is
brilliant but I am still getting to grips with it as I haven't used one =
for
a long time - possibly Bill Grabowski's ERJ or something of that =
vintage..