[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:56:02 +0000

I tried ground shadows in the early days of FS9. Since I didn't persist with its use it must have hammered performance. I always use aircraft cast shadows.

Microsoft mentioned this a long time ago - back in FS98 days I think. It's logical because they said designing software for currently available systems isn't practical because in the two years span of each version (true for FS) the hardware will outstrip the potential of the product. The problem with FS is that it is unlike most other MS products it has a wide user base of designers creating additional "modules" for the basic program - all which affect the system load. If we all stuck to the basic FS product then I dare say that after a system upgrade we probably _could_ run it at full throttle. As to the machinery it gets tested on we just don't know. If software designers were obliged to publish the specs for running their software with all options maxed then maybe we would have an idea but all they ever publish is the minimum specifications - which are mostly laughable. Having said that I would find it an interesting exercise if someone with a current top end system could load just the basic FS2004 program and turn every option on, set all resolutions to maximum and max all the sliders. I still think the frame rates wouldn't be all that blistering. Another casual question. Has anyone ever run FS with the Ground Scenery casts Shadows option ticked? bones