[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:34:34 -0000

Microsoft mentioned this a long time ago - back in FS98 days I think. It's
logical because they said designing software for currently available systems
isn't practical because in the two years span of each version (true for FS)
the hardware will outstrip the potential of the product.

The problem with FS is that it is unlike most other MS products it has a
wide user base of designers creating additional "modules" for the basic
program - all which affect the system load. If we all stuck to the basic FS
product then I dare say that after a system upgrade we probably could run it
at full throttle.

As to the machinery it gets tested on we just don't know. If software
designers were obliged to publish the specs for running their software with
all options maxed then maybe we would have an idea but all they ever publish
is the minimum specifications - which are mostly laughable. Having said that
I would find it an interesting exercise if someone with a current top end
system could load just the basic FS2004 program and turn every option on,
set all resolutions to maximum and max all the sliders. I still think the
frame rates wouldn't be all that blistering.

Another casual question. Has anyone ever run FS with the Ground Scenery
casts Shadows option ticked?