[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 04:30:13 EST

Bones,

Interesting to read your views about FS always being launched ahead of the
hardware available to run it adequately, I wonder what machinery it gets tested
 on.........

I have 2 reasons why I have already purchased FSX -

Scenery - OK I know there are problems with the Horizon offering at the
moment, but I have seen enough to realise the potential. When I compare what we

have now with those little pyramids of the early FS versions we have come a
long  way. I think this is a landmark version as it now passes the "pub test".
By
this  I mean I could take an aerial screen shot of our village, take it down
to the  pub, and everybody could look at it and recognise the village. Not
possible  before, but the higher resolution offered by FSX does the trick.

The SDK - I have very much enjoyed the challenge of building gauges, which
has given me a few headaches, but taught me a lot about FS and aviation,
ignorant bean counter that I am. The SDK is far from perfect, but its better
than
what I had before.

Next year when Vista and DX10 appear I will invest what looks like £2K in
some new hardware, which I hope will allow smoother flights in FSX. I doubt if
 will be able to afford such expense when I retire, but while I'm working, I
can  endure the pain.

Frank T.