[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:47:01 -0000

Gerry writes: Or am I missing something?

Vista, DX10 and associated hardware plus ongoing developments during the
product life cycle.

I understand Bones point of view and agree that MS is effectively running a
4 year development program with a major upgrade being sold as a new version
in the intervening 2 years.  I personally believe the rate of hardware
development has been gauged wrongly by MS in the lead up to FSX, something
they've contributed to themselves with Vista and DX10 delays.  I think they
should have taken the bull by the horns and stated clearly it would not be
either XP or backwards compatable.  While this may have impacted on sales,
(which is, of course, why they didn't) I think it would have engendered
confidence.

The problem MS have is in trying to optimise for the future.  If they
concentrated on getting the best out of what was available now then I
believe we would all be raving and spending a small fortune over the next
few months.  Then when that future arrives, they'd have had the time and
knowledge about the development of impacting hardware so that they could
again optimise for the present not the future.

I'm with Bones, I'm fed up with chasing the rainbow.