[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:41 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

My post was meant to be genuinely positive and in admiration of Gerry's
persistence, because mostly
I am filled with gloom on the subject.

I only ever fly multiplayer these days.  I have done with flying alone except
for bits of testing
etc. Until I can get the multiplayer to work - FSX stays in the box.  Although
I say that, I do keep
trying to find a way to get something out of my purchase.  Only yesterday I
tried again to log into
gamespy with my existing account (created a couple of weeks ago via the Gamespy
web site, solely for
FSX use). FSX wouldn't let me, as it hadn't all along. So I created a new
Gamespy account from with
FSX and that worked.  So I logged into a session, which you have to do now
before you start up a
flight, rather than the other way round.  By the time my flight had loaded (5
minutes) the host had
vapourised.  All the multiplayer facilities - hosting, joining, the 2 players
in 1 aircraft, and the
ATC option are behind the Gamespy interface.  Personally I think this is
completely wrong. I
actually didn't ever want to join Gamespy. I don't know what you find once you
can go through the
LAN gateway, I haven't tried because there is no-one else on my LAN but me and
I only have one copy
of FSX on 1 machine.

Is anyone on this list flying multiplayer in FSX yet?

I have battled with many FS issues over the years, striving to make it more
realistic, as you do,
but never before, 4 weeks after purchasing a new version, have I wished I
hadn't bothered.  As a PPL
like you (and probably like you I use FS to keep my brain current if not my
hands and feet) FS is
important for more than just its own sake.  I enjoy all the eye candy which
some despise as being
trivial - and I agree it is not - the magic of flight for me is what you see
out of the window, not
the distance you travel. I want to see the magic of night flying without the
risk of doing it for
real in a light single.  But I continue to be annoyed at the fact that they
seem not to be
interested in making the aircraft FLY properly. E.g. I want to learn how to
spin at NO risk of
making my kids fatherless.

Maybe it is an energy thing after all.