[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: Kev Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:31:08 +0000

I am disheartened to read this here Peter.

For someone who purports to have been a "pioneer" himself, with Gemini and the "first" online multiplayer session I question your comments associated with the latest offering in the FS evolution. As you once famously posted "I only have mental energy for one on-line service" I realise that you remain content with your current Cix VFR Club / Vatsim setup, and that you may be happy to wait to embrace FSX until all the programs you currently enjoy are proven in the new version. At this time the technology will have reduced in price to make the changeover practical and affordable.

"It would have to be a major improvement over FS2004 and be backwards compatible for me to part with my money" well it is a major improvement, but I question the "backwards compatibility you crave". Microsoft don't make any "Add-ons" so there is little or no need for them to make FSX "backwards compatible" with FS9. They continue to push the envelope! I believe that they are restricted at the lower end of that envelope, by current users expectation, or desire to have a "soft" upgrade experience. I fully believe they have of necessity limited the upper envelope due to constraints related to this expectation.

The net is full of Naysayers, but there are a sizeable hard core of FS users who's enjoyment of the latest, greatest sim is in the conquering of these challenges, above actually flying in it. Let's not forget the Add-on designers who are facing challenges to maximise the opportunities to their craft from the advances within FSX that are available to them now. New product lines and profits keep the hobby alive.

As a ppl holder myself, I strive to achieve as close to visual reality as possible. Yes, for some time now we have had "reality" in terms of cockpit visuals and operation, particularly in VFR craft, however for those users who have never enjoyed the experience of flying GA the simulation still has a long way to go !

I am engrossed. I have both FS9 and FSX on my system and am able to directly compare. I (like Gerry) am not "bonkers"!

Best wishes

Kev T