[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:03:02 +0000

I'll try to get some screenshots tomorrow. Of course if you'd like to drive North and have a look, in the absence of SWMBO, you'll get a better impression. Just let me know.

First look is IOM. First reaction, disappointment! Doesn't look any better than the VFR GM. Doh, I'd forgotten to change the Mesh Resolution and Texture Resolution.

That done and it's markedly better. But here we hit a major problem. I'm running with the instrument panel displaced to its own monitor. There's therefore nothing to obstruct the view. In FSX, in 2D panel mode, there's hardly any view of the ground ahead. In this mode the Eye Point can't, so far as I'm aware, be adjusted. To get a decent impression of this scenery I have to use either top down or look behind me. This 2D panel / Eyepoint thing is a giant step backwards!

I can however see that there's something in the drive of Chez Nous, which I definitely couldn't in VFR GM. The resolution isn't as good as in Windows Live Local but that just presents a static shot..

Moving round, from Ramsey, the Mountain Road now looks like a road, rather than the earlier sort of stripey road type thing. Its edges are decently sharp.

I'm not sure about the mesh though. Having flown down Sulby Glen, descent gives me a better view. So good that it's easy to spot my version of the extinct Hall Caine field. The approach gives the sort of view of the properties below that's now good enough to be described as a Skeet! But, on the ground I find that Hall Caine has undulations that certainly aren't present in this part of the Island. Very odd.

Give us some screenshots when you have it running.. <g>
Although the scenery itself is of much interest it is the reputed 5m mesh that is going to be of concern. 5m resolution is stunning but it also brings a load of problems - particularly around airport flattens. At Ronaldsway the threshold of 21 is 55ft (16.7m) AMSL but at the 03 end it is only 18ft (5.4m) AMSL. This isn't a significant drop in real terms - quite a few runways have a gradient that is higher. The problem is that airfield flattens are always set to the highest value as official airfield elevation is defined as such (the highest point on the manoeuvring area or apron) and this is what FS uses in the sim. The result is that as 03 is right on the coast - it literally runs straight into sand dunes - a gentle slope from 18ft into the sea becomes a 55ft cliff face. It may not sound much but with higher terrain resolution it could look awful. It is one reason why I reset the airfield elevation in my scenery to 33ft. Airfields with any significant slope may look bad with higher resolution mesh so if Gary think he's found a way to create variable flattens it could have a significant effect in FSX. bones