[jhb_airlines] Re: Defrag needs

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:27:24 -0000

Give us some screenshots when you have it running.. <g>

Although the scenery itself is of much interest it is the reputed 5m mesh
that is going to be of concern. 5m resolution is stunning but it also brings
a load of problems - particularly around airport flattens. At Ronaldsway the
threshold of 21 is 55ft (16.7m) AMSL but at the 03 end it is only 18ft
(5.4m) AMSL. This isn't a significant drop in real terms - quite a few
runways have a gradient that is higher.

The problem is that airfield flattens are always set to the highest value as
official airfield elevation is defined as such (the highest point on the
manoeuvring area or apron) and this is what FS uses in the sim. The result
is that as 03 is right on the coast - it literally runs straight into sand
dunes - a gentle slope from 18ft into the sea becomes a 55ft cliff face. It
may not sound much but with higher terrain resolution it could look awful.
It is one reason why I reset the airfield elevation in my scenery to 33ft.

Airfields with any significant slope may look bad with higher resolution
mesh so if Gary think he's found a way to create variable flattens it could
have a significant effect in FSX.