[jhb_airlines] Re: Cleared to land

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:17:29 +0100

I used to have a Nokia 9110 Communicator many years ago and that was ideal
for flying as it has fax capabilities. If stuck at an airfield without
weather facilities (like Newtownards) I would ring EGNS and ask them to fax
me the latest METAR sheet for NW England plus F214 and 215. It was a
breakthrough in the sense that up to that time you got your weather data at
your departure airfield and may not get any updates once you had got
airborne. For bigger airfields you had VOLMET but if flying to two or three
small airfields and not stopping long enough to get to the clubhouse for
current data (assuming they had it) you could often be without current Met
or NOTAM information.

Nowadays with mobiles having Internet capability and Met and AIS being
online things are a lot different.

http://woodair.net