[jhb_airlines] Re: Clearances

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:36 +0100 (BST)

> John,
> I'm just plotting an assignment, VFR, from Duxford to Wigtown.
> Would it be reasonable to assume, in real life, that a
> clearance would be given, for transit of the M/C / Liverpool
> Cat D zone, to track Wrexham to Fleetwood?
Gerry,
I have heard both on the R/T - a clearance being given, and a
"remain outside controlled airspace" instruction.

It would ptobably depend on what you were flying. If in a
reasonably fast twin, you would almost certainly get a clearance,
as ATC would know/assume you were an experienced pilot not likely
to cause problems.  If you were in a C152 or a Tomahawk, he might
assume you were a realtively low hours PPL, and prefer (as it is
only a small diversion) that you route round the Wirral, outside
controlled airspace.
I fly from Liverpool, so I'm known there, and would probably
get a clearance, but I have always gone round when on a similar
route - it's pretty anyway following the coast!