[jhb_airlines] Carburetor Heat

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:58 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

My custom C172 panel has the traditional carb heat control which
is missing from the default aircraft. Unfortunately this is
unrealistic, as 99.9% of light aircraft still have and need a
carb heat control.  Some time ago Bones kindly found me some
source code on a web forum for making an XML carb heat control
"gauge", which the author said "didn't work properly in FS".
Never mind, said I, I want to at least pull it ON and push it OFF
as in real life.

Tonight I was flying in really bad weather 2 miles viz, cloud at
less than 1000 feet from Biggin Hill to Birmingham.  I became
aware that the rpm was dropping and that i was nudging the
throttle open a bit more every few minutes.  This is classic carb
icing behaviour, but it took me some time to realise this, and to
my amazement and joy, when i pulled on the carb heat, the engine
spluttered a bit, and then the rpm shot up to 2400 from about
2000.  So it does work!