[jhb_airlines] Re: Bomber Command

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 16:40:37 +0000

Both SWMBO and I have signed up. We'll have a word with her father too - he lost a brother in Bomber Command during WW2.

Mike L

Bones wrote:
Putting all questions of politics and ethics aside I'd ask everyone to have
a look at the following petition and sign it if they agree with the
proposal.

During WW2 56,000 aircrew lost their lives in Bomber Command but it is the
only service for which a campaign medal was never issued. Bomber Command
fell out of favour with Churchill towards the end of the war and he declined
to issue the medal - as has every government since. Regardless of the right
or wrong of Bomber Command policy it doesn't detract from the bravery and
sacrifice by all the personnel in that command and it is time this received
due recognition.

http://fsaviation.net