[jhb_airlines] Re: Beefing up the UK Airspace Site - Long boring post!

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:19:52 +0100

It just needs a little rewriting to explain it better..

Indicated Airspeed (IAS)
The speed as shown by the ASI uncorrected for temperature or density
altitude. May be expressed as knots, MPH or KPH. IAS is universally used by
pilots and ATC. Although IAS progressively under reads with increasing
altitude the indicated V speeds remain constant and do not require
calculating.

True Airspeed (TAS)
The speed of an aircraft through an undisturbed air mass. TAS is IAS
corrected for temperature and density altitude and is essential for
navigational calculations.

Ground Speed (GS)
The speed of an aircraft over the surface of the Earth. GS is TAS corrected
for air mass movement.