[jhb_airlines] Re: B747-400

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:28:20 -0000

Most Regional airports have been charging this for a while - but only for
instrument approaches. If the pilot lands and rolls it's a full charge and
if he goes around it's 50% off. I've not heard of it coming in for all
approaches but I can see the twisted logic of this.

At the moment a light aircraft could bash the circuit for an hour or two and
if he goes around each time there is nothing to pay. Fine enough at a quiet
airfield but if he's being threaded in amongst many schedules then it can
get a bit selfish. As a pilot I know I would not like this charge but as a
passenger on a schedule who finds out that a 10min delay was caused by a
couple of circuit bashers then I could see some complaints going in.

Going back to the 747 I remember my first flight in the PS1-747 simulator -
really ahead of its time when we were playing with FS98. The full systems of
the 747 were modelled in the sim and interactive. It took me almost 30
minutes just to get the engines fired up! The nearest aircraft to it in FS98
was the Dash 8 cockpit by Olav Frelov - that was also a checklist mandatory
aircraft. Anyone remember it?