[jhb_airlines] Re: B747-400

  • From: "franklyn fisher" <ff006c5886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:16:55 -0000

Have tried a number of trim settings.

Find that an auto takeoff is the smoothest, but will have some more tries, much prefer the manual way to get off the deck.

Yesterday, got a smooth takeoff, and stepped climb/speed to FL400, and it was stable for 10 minutes, I thought, oh joy, I had cracked it.

Today, tried online,(KJFK-EGLL) and coupled to FSC, got to FL380, took my eyes off the screen for a minute, turned back, and there I was, heading for a swim. Managed to get it off the water, and away again, then passing through FL200, it happened again, I wonder what is triggering the failure, it happens too fast to recover before hitting the deck. In real life, I would expect to have plenty of time to stabalise from FL400.

And yet I was following the same procedure, easing up the speed as I was climbing, even the angle of attack was no higher than 10 degrees throughout, I was keeping the VSI below 1500 and was dropping it to 1000.

The rated M0.85 incidently, keeps the throttle full open all the time, not good for the fuel calcs.

I will crack it one day, hopefully not too distant future.

The A380, comes with the ABACUS FMC, think I will see if I can plumb it into the Boeings, should just be a matter of pointing the config file to the GAU.