[jhb_airlines] Re: B747-400

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 21:14:29 -0000

It sounds like you are flying too slowly and getting on the back of the drag
curve. What sort of speed are you using for the climb?

Also make sure you don't set a specific rate of climb for any jet. It's fine
setting 1800fpm at sea level but if the autopilot is trying to maintain that
rate of climb at higher levels it can only do so by losing airspeed. The
autopilot should be set to maintain a speed value instead - which it will
maintain as you get higher by automatically reducing the rate of climb.

This is the trouble with autopilots - you can direct them to do the wrong
thing very easily. In FS4 we had no option with the climb - if you dialled
in a height and speed it would always give priority to rate of climb. The
result was that the higher you got the more the aircraft lost speed until it
eventually stalled. Later sim versions were more intelligent and rate of
climb is no longer the default value driving the aircraft - but you can
still set the aircraft to do this.

The 747 should be able to climb up to FL310 without any problem but if heavy
with fuel it may need to fly for an hour or so before stepping up the FL350
and (eventually) FL390.