[jhb_airlines] Re: B350

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:15:35 +0100

In my previous existence I often flew Manchester to Aberdeen, when the route was flown with the Trident. It was disconcerting to hear the engines go into reverse thrust before the wheels connected with the runway! It seemed reluctant, perhaps because of ground effect, to cease flying.

When I discussed it with a driver he said it wasn't half as disconcerting as its reluctance to let go of the runway and start flying, during takeoff!

"I will give that try, but those idents are quite meaty, you need a hefty
push to get over them."

Welcome to real life. There's a good reason the indents are difficult to get
over - you don't want to get into reverse by accident.

A brand new Commander 680 was delivered to FlightLine at Dublin and all the
charter pilots were being checked out on it. The second pilot doing the
conversion had completed the general handling and was in the circuit. On his
first approach he crossed the threshold and pulled the power levers straight
back into reverse. The aircraft stopped as if it had hit a brick wall an
dropped 40ft onto the runway - it was a complete write off and only two days
old. Luckily only minor injuries were sustained but the pilot was sacked on
the spot.

http://woodair.net