[jhb_airlines] Re: B350

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:41:49 +0100

As Gerry mentioned in his post a few days ago quite a lot of turoboprops
produce too much thrust even when throttled right back. Condition levers
don't affect prop thrust - just engine thrust - so they are not responsible.

Taxying in a turboprop leads to two different options for a pilot. Some will
counteract the excess thrust with constant braking. This is the lazy mans
approach as it is costly (brake pads are horribly expensive) and you
overheat the brakes by doing so which would affect stopping distance on an
aborted take off.

The better way to keep speed down during taxy is to move the power levers
back to the zero thrust detent from time to time or even back into reverse
slightly. If you think that's awkward in FS it's worse in real life because
you have to keep lifting the levers over the detent to get them into beta.

The worst aircraft for this (in my limited experience) was the Rockwell
Commander 690. At idle it would accelerate quite quickly - you would be over
20kts in a second or two. If you lifted the levers into beta the reverse
thrust was equally powerful and it would bring you to a halt just as
quickly. Taxying was a constant juggling match. By comparison the Twin Otter
was much more well behaved - not that I'm saying I handled one ;)

http://woodair.net