[jhb_airlines] Re: B350

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:15:19 +0100

207 gallons for 2.16hrs is a tad high and you should be able to shave some
off with better engine management. Here's a quote from a B350 flight report:

"Initial climb rate topped 2,000 fpm, and in 15 minutes the 350 was level at
27,000 feet, despite air temperatures at least 9º F above standard all the
way up. The high 20s are good altitudes for the 350 because it cruises right
around 300 knots true airspeed with a fuel flow of about 650 pounds per
hour. The mid-to-high 20s are not crowded altitudes, and the tanks? full
range at maximum power is at least 1,000 nm with enough reserves to continue
to an alternate 100 nm from the destination.

Except for takeoff, all climb and cruise is conducted with the propellers
set at a slow 1500 rpm. At that setting you are aware of the props in the
cockpit, but in the aft club chairs the sound could be as easily coming from
a jet engine as a turboprop. And the vibration level compares very
favourably with a business jet."

So it looks like you need to get those props back further to 1500rpm which
is lower than the B200 series. You also need to respect torque limits but I
don't know if FS publishes these. On take off throttles are advanced to
torque limit only in real life - but there again engines don't blow up in FS
and it's a shame because users don't learn any respect for correct settings.

Just two more figures for you to digest taken from the King Air manual.

FL240, 312kts -fuel flow 128usg
FL330, 237kts - fuel flow 61usg.

That is why most King Air operators stay around the 250kt level - it keeps
fuel costs down a lot.

http://woodair.net