[jhb_airlines] Autopilot Help Please

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:15:21 EST

Dear Peter, Alex, Gerry and Alastair,

Thanks for coming back to me, but I must have asked the question about the
inter related AP buttons very badly as nobody answered, perhaps I should
rephrase in context -

I am trying to put together an autopilot gauge, and part of the process is
to send messages to FS whenever an appropriate mouse button is clicked.
Sometimes the process is just switching something on or off, but at other times

more than one thing needs to be done. For example, when we switch the AP on, we

also need to switch on the Wing Leveller and the Yaw Damper. If we switch  the
HDG on, we need to switch the Wing Leveller off. My question was are there
any other inter relationships like this within the AP that I need to be aware
of? Sorry I didn't ask very clearly.

Alex, thanks very much for your other answers, I now understand what the  Yaw
Damper does. Regarding the engine gauge questions, I think I need to do a
bit more research as there is a wide variation between aircraft types.
Reference
 the braking mechanisms, can I ask one further question please? I understand
the  autobrakes are armed before landing, and then automatically deployed on
landing  as you describe. Am I right in assuming that spoilers and airbrakes
may be  deployed to reduce speed while in the air, but can also be set up to
auto deploy  on landing, if the aircraft is so equipped? If so, is there any
mechanism to  prevent the airspeed dropping too low?

Gerry, I understand your point about needing the reference to the throttle
setting on exit from AT, I have also done a throttle % gauge. The other one I
find useful is a pitch trim gauge, on exit from the AP.

Alastair, thanks for the reference, I'm off for a quick shufti.

Thank you all very much for your help

Frank T.