[jhb_airlines] Re: Autopilot Help Please

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 10:27:12 +0000

Hi Frank,
Having had your questions answered by Alex, can I throw in a suggestion re gauges. In a few of my modified panels I include a gauge, F18ENG.gau. It shows the throttle opening and percent. I find it useful in the transition from Autothrottle to manual control. I know that in real life, on heavy metal, the current practice is to leave autothrottle engaged after all else has gone to Manual. I was reading an article, recently, by a training captain. He said that in many airlines it is mandatory to use autothrottle until touching down. His concern was that many heavy pilots now lack the manipulative skills to handle thrust manually, since they are also not permitted to fly manually during their simulator sessions. Since I'm nor REAL, I like to wait until the glideslope has been acquired and the correct speed stabilised. I then swith off Autothrottle, switching off the Autopilot at about 5 DME. The transition to Manual throttle can be dodgy if, as in the case of the EMB170, the model has a realistic delay between throttle movement and engine reaction. That's where the F18ENG gauge comes in handy. At the point I'm about to switch off Autothrottle, Iread off the throttle opening, then move the manual throttles to give me the same reading. Works well.
Cut to the problem. It probably won't work in FSX!
I made an .xml gauge, some time ago, that will give me a percentage throttle opening, as a simple, unframed, digital readout. Ther's a market for a decent .xml version of F18ENG.gau.

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

One of the things to come out of my recent attempts to make gauges in XML is the realization that in spite of using FS since version 1 on the original IBM PC, there are still huge holes in my flying knowledge, which probably explains why I'm a lousy pilot. Please can the experts advise me on the following - (a) When I switch on the autopilot, it appears that the yaw damper and wing leveller also become active, as in this mode the AP continues to fly the aircraft at its current heading and altitude. If I turn on the heading function, the wing leveller turns off, and the aircraft turns to the set heading. From these examples it follows that a single switch change on one autopilot function can trigger off a number of consequent function setting changes. Can anyone give me a list of these inter relationships, or is it not that simple? (b) Does the Flight Director just display the cross-hairs as a guide, or has it more uses? (c) What does the yaw damper do precisely? (d) For a single engined prop panel, under the engine/power heading I plan to include the settings for mixture, throttle, and propellor percentages, plus the rpm and manifold pressure. I assume I can just double this up for a piston engined twin, but what do I need to display for turboprops and jets? (e) What's the difference between autobrakes, spoilers and air brakes? Alternatively, if you can point me to a useful reference site to get the answers, I would be grateful. Many thanks Frank T.