[jhb_airlines] Re: Autopilot Help Please

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:42:16 +0000

Speaking of Mantra, I recall an excellent response to slavish following of the stone tablets, recounted by the chap who was the Chief Test Pilot on the Harrier. It related to one of his RAF conversion courses, where the instructor insisted on the landing phase application of "controll speed with elevator and trim. Control height just with throttle". Apparently the pilot deliberately got low on short finals. With the hedge growing larger in the screen, he said to the instructor "are you sure you want me to open the throttle and leave the stick alone?". Apparently the instructor instantly developed a refreshingly flexible approach to the mantra.

Gerry Winskill

Peter Dodds wrote:

The single abiding mantra I remember from Flight without Formulae (a "set book" for my PPL) is something along the lines of that "you cannot stall if the elevators are in the neutral position". (You may not want them there if you are in a dive at 500 feet, but you won't stall!)

It's a good bedtime read too.