[jhb_airlines] Autopilot Help Please

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 03:51:42 EST

One of the things to come out of my recent attempts to make gauges in XML  is
the realization that in spite of using FS since version 1 on the original IBM
 PC, there are still huge holes in my flying knowledge, which probably
explains  why I'm a lousy pilot.

Please can the experts advise me on the following -

(a) When I switch on the autopilot, it appears that the yaw damper and wing
leveller also become active, as in this mode the AP continues to fly the
aircraft at its current heading and altitude. If I turn on the heading
function,
the wing leveller turns off, and the aircraft turns to the set heading. From
these examples it follows that a single switch change on one autopilot
function  can trigger off a number of consequent function setting changes. Can
anyone
give  me a list of these inter relationships, or is it not that simple?

(b) Does the Flight Director just display the cross-hairs as a guide,  or has
it more uses?

(c) What does the yaw damper do precisely?

(d) For a single engined prop panel, under the engine/power heading  I plan
to include the settings for mixture, throttle, and propellor  percentages, plus
the rpm and manifold pressure.
I assume I can just double this up for a piston engined twin, but what do I
need to display for turboprops and jets?

(e) What's the difference between autobrakes, spoilers and air  brakes?

Alternatively, if you can point me to a useful reference site to get the
answers, I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Frank T.