[jhb_airlines] Re: Autopilot APPR HOLD problem

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:34:14 +0100

Having finally got FS9 to work again, of which more anon, I tried a flight and IOM 26 ILS, with wt shifted forward. As you say, it made little difference to the AOA and I share your view that the C of G is out. I'll leave you to fiddle with that.
On finals, all in APPR, I progressively lowered the set speed to 85 kias. First noticeable fact is its reluctance to let the speed decay that low. At 87, with even higher AOA, it came slightly below the glidepath and remained stable at that displaced position. The outcome was an undershoot of a few hundred yards. Fair play, it did it gracefully. Highest trim readout was 51; considerably lower than the pre tweek situation, where despite that it couldn't remain on the glideslope.

Back to my FS9 bootup refusals. Having re installed the Radeon drivers, which couldn't possibly have been causing the problem, done the usual things like deleting FS9.cfg, I fell back on the mark one eyeball method. Since all failures were accompanied by just one of the GF MCP's lights coming on, I unpluged the Autopilot. FS9 then booted OK. Switched it off and ran GFConfig and all in the garden is lovely again.
Another one to go in my fault box.

If you start adding weight to the front of the aircraft you'll be going
round in circles. More weight means more lift required and a greater AoA for
any specific speed. Even if you just shift weight forward without increasing
it, all that happens is that you get a nose down pitch that will rob you of
lift and you will need more aft stick (and trim) to compensate.

Incorrect trim (and it has too much back trim by default) indicates an error
further back in the design process and, in this case, I suspect a problem
with weight and balance - probably an incorrectly set CoG position. It only
has to be a few inches out to make a huge difference to trim.

I have also got the aircraft to fly an approach below 100kts but I haven't
touched the trim or CoG settings (yet). The changes I have made have been
all in the .air file - adding the FS2004 control effectivity tables that
were missing. The engine parameters were also missing and I am playing with
those right now. There is too much residual thrust at idle speeds - it
should be down at 24% N1 similar to the Falcon and not up at 39%.

The trouble with .air file changes is that they don't take effect unless you
reboot FS so it's a messy business.