[jhb_airlines] Re: Autobrake Control

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:30:05 +0100

Hopefully not too long.

I'm going to split the gauges into two CAB files. The gauges specific to the
Aztec will go into one and the Collins avionics will go into a separate CAB
file that could be used by other designers. I can then fire off the CAB
files as they get finished rather than wait to release them both together.

As the CAB files are self contained with code and bitmaps you could have a
copy any time - but would have to take the rough with the smooth. That means
the slight problems with the flap lever and autopilot would come with the
rest of the finished stuff. This isn't really a problem because the issue is
one of bitmaps displaying correctly - the actual code works fine. So, you
can operate the flaps with a Go Flight unit or the F5 - F8 keys and flaps
will work but clicking on the flap lever won't do much right now.

Same with the autopilot. It's odd to select Nav hold or Alt hold on the GF
units and see the correct button light up on my autopilot panel but if you
try pressing the autopilot button itself it doesn't work! It means the code
for the display is good but I haven't got the "Click Event" code just right
yet.

Interestingly enough the CAB now has 46 files in it - 24 are bitmaps and 22
are XML files (or gauges). Here it must be said that "gauge" is not exactly
the right word as an XML file covers switches too - effectively any panel
object that has some working function. With all this lot in the CAB is only
213K.

It should be noted that of the default FS2004 aircraft only a few are XML
coded - the Baron, B737 and B747. All the rest are still using GAU files
(C172, Mooney etc and all the historic aircraft) and these will have to be
rewritten in XML for FS2006. That's assuming MS will put them in the next
version. Personally I wouldn't miss the old aircraft as I never use them - I
only briefly dabbled with the Wright Flyer and the DH88 and I found the
Curtiss Jenny almost impossible to handle on the ground..