[jhb_airlines] Re: As Real As It Gets?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:10:27 +0100

Are these strips going to be uploaded anywhere Gerry?

Spotting farm strips is indeed quite tricky and most pilots will phone the
owner beforehand to obtain a really detailed briefing on where the strip is
and the joining/landing procedures. It's a bit easier these days with GPS
but I bet mistakes still happen.

In my airfield research I have tried to look for most airfields in Multimap
and some just do not show up at all in the aerial shots. I also recall a
photo printed in Pilot magazine some years ago where a pilot had landed in
the wrong field (no harm done) and taken a shot of the area on departure.
The picture clearly showed a big field with a ploughed strip down the middle
which looked exactly like a runway. This was not the landing strip, it was
just a ploughed field. The real strip was arrowed in the picture and, by
comparison, it was tiny - it looked like a farm track.